Thursday, July 4, 2013

Family Home Evening

On Monday night we went to Lake Thunderbird for FHE to watch the sun set, and catch fireflies (or as Benjamin calls them, glow bugs).  We performed a rousing rendition of "Faith is Like a Little Seed" because that is what we are learning with our little Sunbeams, and had a lesson on tithing.  Then as the clouds began changing from light gray to gorgeous pinks, organges, and gold, we headed out towards the water for a more intimate view.

(Benjamin is all ready to catch fireflies!)


(The Sunset)

By this point of the evening, Benjamn had gotten a little bored with watching the sun slowly sink below the hills the treeline and wandered off.  In my search to find him once I realized he was gone, I came upon what I thought was a drowned wild pig.


Upon closer inspection (after I found Benjamin and asked him to check it out, of course), we discovered it wasn't a pig at all... but a little drowned wiener dog  :(

(I'll spare you any close-up shots, because it was really quite tragic)


It took a few minutes to get over that sadness, but soon we forced ourselves back to watching the sunset... a good distance from the deceased.

(You can't really tell from the photo, which makes me very sad, but the sun is red!
It made me miss Japan horribly!!!)

(After the sun went to bed behind the hills the trees)


After a few more minutes, it was dusky enough that the fireflies came out!!!  As I was so intent on catching the little guys, I didn't take any photos... but we ended up with like 7 in our mason jar by the end of our hunt, I promise!  Benjamin accidentally smushed one and got its "glow" on his fingers.  It sounds horrible, but it was really cool!  He looked like a less drastic version of ET with his finger all lit up!


And that, my friends, was a fantastic FHE.  Maybe if they were all like this I wouldn't despise them so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment